Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Developer Estimates

We are working on a confidential project as i cannot name it here ;) cause we got some NDA stuff related to it. Well i am leading some team here, we have to provide development estimates for particular features which is a common practice. I dont have a good idea how to estimate them correctly,but always try to do my best. Last time i saw around 200 hours for my feature estimated by our parent company. I have to send the actual one, i asked my dev to make his estimates well he is quite good. he shortens the time to approx 100 hrs. but some of our senior mangement still want justification on this estimates and called me up for interrogation. First i try to persuade him but when he is not gtting my point. I asked him that can i review it for 10 minutes. Later i just use my newly learned WBS(Work breakdown Structure) technique to make estimates and to my idea i have increased the time line by approx 2 days. and when we met again he is quite satisfied with this estimates. Lucky me as i got more time now to complete the same feature. I dont know is it me that fool him around or the estimates are really good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Teach me this technique too Omer bhai! :)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).